Sunday, January 20, 2008

I'm praying for her...

that she will be able to return home soon. My Mom called yesterday morning to relay the message that my sister was in an accident, a 4 wheeling accident. My heart stopped as my mind raced through the possibilies, immediately praying and hoping that she would be okay, and wondering what I would ever do without her. My Mom said that while riding they had hit or ran over something that caused her to hit her head on an overhead bar and then hit her jaw another bar. That she had been taken to the Yuma Medical Center where they had to shave a portion of her head to sew up the gash. That she was being taken into do a CAT scan to see if there were skull fractures or a broken jaw. After hanging up the phone I continued praying... pleading with Heavenly Father that she would be okay... that Brett and the kids would be comforted and feel peace and love. Almost instantly I stopped crying, not of my own power because I could've cried for hours, but because of the overwhelming feeling that they were being watched over. I continued to pray anyway. Later I learned that the CAT scan verified that there were no skull fractures, but they were still unsure of the condition of the jaw. I hope that they were able to come home yesterday. I pray that she'll let us take care of her and her kids. I pray that she'll know more than ever before of our love for her. As I sit here I am reminded of the fragility of life... that at any moment anything can happen. I am so grateful for my sisters. They are some of my most precious blessings. So today Holly, I'm praying especially for you...praying especially that you'll always know that I LOVE YOU! In other words... I {insert really big puffy heart} you! :)

17 comments:

Andrea Gunnell said...

I'm sorry to hear about your sister. It seems as if she has already been through so much. Sisters are the best and it is always scary to hear of something happening to one of them! I am so happy to hear she has no fractures in her skull. I hope she recovers quickly and I will pray for her too.

Becca said...

I feel the same way! I love Holly...and Tressa, and Mindy, and YOU!

Erin said...

Karli,
Just letting you know that our family will keep your sister in our prayers as well. What a blessing it is to know that we have the gospel & the Priesthood through the times like this that are so hard.

Salsa Mama said...

I'm glad the CAT scan came back good. I hope everything else works out, too! I'm so sorry to hear about the accident. Hugs!!

Beth/Grandma D. said...

I am grateful the Holly's head is alright. Thank you for writing about this. We will keep her in our prayers.

Cami D. said...

...and I LOVE HOLLY and am praying for her - and her family (including you and yours) that all will be comforted and will be able to assist wherever/whenever needed. If you need me please call me Karli!! I love you!

Mindy said...

I feel the same way. I could not imagine life without sisters. I am so thankful that she is recovering and pray that she will accept help from us!

Becky said...

I hope that Holly gets better soon!! She is so lucky to have such great sisters! Thank you for the update! We are keeping them in our prayers

Tressa said...

Thanks for the message on my cell phone Karli. :) I hadn't heard the latest yet, so thanks for filling me in. Love you!

heidi said...

wow! i hope she doing okay. so sorry to hear about this

Lorie said...

Oh My goodness!! Your family will be in our prayers!!

Amber said...

Karli,
I haven't heard anything about Holly lately. So, I just wanted to know if there is anything I can do to help out. I love you guys, and I hope all is going well.

Karli said...

Thank you all for your prayers. They are working for sure.

Holly is doing better every day. I talked to her yesterday and she sounded pretty chipper to me. Two days ago she went and got braces put on her bottom teeth because they had been pushed out of place and were pretty loose. She can only "eat" things that come through a straw and can't really eat very much at a time. She gets tired quickly and can't stand for very long. Her left hand isn't working correctly - probably due to a neck injury. She can't really grip things.

Her ward (and everyone else) has really come to their aid. Meals have been planned through Saturday and people are calling again to volunteer for more days. My parents (one or both) have been with her and the kids at all times to help out. She is so positive and just keeps counting the blessings... being grateful that Bryson and Grant weren't with them on that ride like they'd planned; grateful that her jaw doesn't have to be wired shut (it broke in the thickest part); grateful that so many are willing to help; etc.

Amber said...

Karli, Those apartments were just what we are looking for!! Oh my goodness thank you so much for finding those. I can't wait to show David. You're amazing!!

Marisa and Rob said...

HI Karli, this is Marisa Rowley Rasmussen, Your boys are so cute. My little girl Amirra is 7 months. Here is our website. robandmarisarasmussen.blogspot.com

Becca said...

Karli-
Hi! So, I cooked my "Chef Jenny" dinner and I think that it turned out super tasty. It was a bit more than I needed, but since it was so delicious it disappeared from the fridge (from me and roommates) quickly. Umm...ya, I have to cook again on Monday (as in a week from today). Any suggestions? Chef Jenny? Any other tastiness? Love ya!

echolsfamily said...

What a scary thing for you and your family! I'm glad to hear that she is doing better.