Sunday, March 23, 2008

So Humbled...

Today has been a wonderful day. Happy Easter! It all began with a nice long hot shower... usually my shower doesn't come until 1:00 in the afternoon when both boys are sleeping. Then I actually took the time to really "do" my hair, which only happens once every couple months sadly. My in-laws were able to come for the day which is always a treat - they arrived at about 8:30. I had choir practice at 9:30 - I rarely get to go to choir practice either probably because it would be hard for Jared to handle the boys in Sacrament meeting by himself during the performances... so I just don't go usually. Well, since my in-laws were here to help, I went to the practice since they were singing today. I love the spirit that I feel when I sing... and it's even more amazing when the songs are focused on the Savior, the atonement, and resurrection. The closing hymn was done by the choir and we sang an amazing arrangement of "Christ the Lord is Ris'n Today" by Brent Jorgensen (a man in our last ward who writes all the organ music I've ever played). What a blessing and comfort it is to me to know that death is not the end... that there is hope for never-ending happiness.

My thoughts are kind of scattered because there are so many things running through my head. When I got home from choir practice Jared said that Brother Windsor wanted to meet with us 15 minutes before sacrament meeting. I asked him if he meant "us" as in "Jared" or "us" as in "me"... he said it was for me. My initial reaction was please don't let it be choir director. I just don't think I could handle it. Then I remembered that they needed a primary pianist too. That I can handle. So I kept my hopes up. Jared said that he actually knew what the call was, but I told him not to tell me and that I would let the Bishopric member issue the call. Well, Brother Windsor thanked me for my service as the RS Chorister and asked if I would be willing to serve as the Ward Music Leader as well as the Ward Choir Director. I wanted to cry. I don't even remember if I said anything at first. He asked how I felt about it. I told him truthfully that the thought of it kind of stressed me out, but that I would accept the call. While I do know how to play the piano and sing... I know nothing of leading a choir. I find comfort in knowing that the previous director will help me in the transition, but even more so that my Savior will make up the difference as long as I diligently labor to do my best.

The rest of the day went smoothly even with the weight of the calling pressing upon my mind. I was blessed to sing a duet with Karen Jensen in RS by James E. Faust titled "This is the Christ." Wow, what a powerful song of testimony! I really do love to sing and have had countless experiences where music has blessed my life and given encouragement and comfort in a way that nothing else can. I just need to keep reminding myself of that as I strive to fulfill my new calling - that perhaps I am helping to bless someone's life through the words and spirit of the music that we sing regardless of my ability or inability to lead effectively.

We enjoyed a tasty Easter dinner complete with ham, mashed potatoes, rolls, green salad, and fruit salad. Afterwards we colored eggs and had our traditional "egg wars" - thanks Jared and Andrea for joining in on the fun! My egg was the champion coming out unscathed in all its battles!

So, on this Easter day I rejoice in my Savior - in his life, sacrifice, resurrection, and love. And I'm humbled by the duty I've been called to perform. So humbled...

11 comments:

Mindy said...

You will do great! I am the choir pianist. Maybe we could share song ideas? Congrats on the new calling!

Kimberly said...

I love you Karli! You are so amazing and I hope that I can be more like you! You are AWESOME!!!

Letia said...

You have a beautiful attitude about your new calling. I am sure you will do wonderful.

Holly said...

You will do a fabulous job on your new calling! My neighbor would totally be willing to help you out too. So let me know, cuz we could run on over. Love you!

Amber said...

Oh wow. With a spirit like that you will do an amazing job!! Thanks for sharing your experience. It's nice that the Lord let you slow down before you recieved your new call, even if it only lasted one morning.

Amber said...

Would you mind sharing your dad's yummy salsa recipe. It is the tastiest (is that even a word?) salsa ever, and if you don't mind I'd love to have it.

Salsa Mama said...

Oh, Karli! You will be so great in that calling! You are so musically gifted. Hey, if you ever need a flute... :)

Tressa said...

You will do great. :) In our ward choir we have been singing a few of Sally DeFord's songs. They are beautifully arranged, and even better they are FREE! Just search for her name on google and you will find her website.
Hey, do you think that we are all the champions in the egg wars from so many years of practice??? LOL

Andrea Gunnell said...

You will do a great job Karli! I bet you will find that you love this calling because you love music and it will give you a chance to use that amazing talent that you have.
Also...Happy Birthday!!! I hope you have a spectacular day!

Holly said...

Okay - so I've thought about you off and on all day - and now it's probably too late to call - HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! Love you!

Lorie said...

I am sure you will be a WONDERFUL choir director! But I will just say if you were still in MY ward you wouldn't have to worry about it! ;D See! You shouldn't have moved! :D