Thursday, July 10, 2008

The results of the testing...

When Mindy and I called the hospital on Monday before leaving the valley the nurse said that Dad had gone in for a "procedure" (she wasn't allowed to disclose any specifics), but said that he should be returned to his room at ~7:00 that night and that it is typically just an overnight stay after that. Great! Even if it was just overnight, we still wanted to be there for Dad - we didn't want him to be alone. So Mindy, Jase, me, Jared, G, and B loaded up in the car and drove to Tucson. We got there around 8:00 and were happy to see that my Dad's parents were there sitting with him. Brett drove up that night too so that he could be of support. Jared and Brett gave him a wonderful priesthood blessing that night - blessing him that he would be given opportunities as he has several hours alone in the hospital to make a plan in changing his nutrition and exercise plans that he might be an example to his children and grandchildren for many years; that he would feel peace; and that the doctors would know what is best for his body and be able to think clearly and work efficiently in the coming surgery.

The "procedure" that was done on Monday was in the "CathLab" where they discovered that one of Dad's main arteries was 100% blocked and another was 60-70% blocked. They were able to do an angioplasty (balloon) on the one that was completely closed, but because of the location of the other blockage they couldn't do angioplasty or a stint... it would have to be bypass surgery. The doctors anticipated it would only be a double or triple bypass surgery to be done Wednesday morning at 9:00. Holly gave Mom a flight voucher to fly to Tucson Tuesday night. I'm so glad that Mom was able to come and be with Dad. I can tell that gave him greater strength and courage.

Mindy and I decided to stay through Wednesday because we wanted to be there for Dad and especially Mom as she waited out the many hours in the surgery waiting room. It was nice that we had our three kids (J, G, and B) to make the hours go faster as we played with them, changed their diapers, and fed them. Before that they had been kind of a challenge because Dad has been in the ICU where only two visitors are allowed at a time and no one under the age of 14. Anyway, they told us that we should hear from the surgeon around 1:00 that afternoon. Come 2:00 we still hadn't heard anything, but tried to remain patient. Shortly after Dr. Melton came out and said that Dad had done great and that he ended up doing a Quadruple Bypass Surgery on him! I'm just so glad he's safe and on the road to recovery now. Today is supposed to be the hardest day as far as pain goes. I'm glad he has Mom and lots of pain medication to help him through it.
We got to see Dad last night as he was starting to come out of the anesthetic. He could flutter his eyes and catch a glance of us. If we asked him questions he would nod or shake his head yes or no. When he looked at me and I said "Hi Daddy" he wiggled his fingers at me from the bed to say hi. It was sweet when Holly called and Mom put the phone up to Dad's ear. She talked to him for a good few minutes and when we asked him afterwards if he had heard her he nodded yes. That made me happy. After Mindy and I left for Mesa they took out Dad's breathing tubes so he was breathing all on his own. Today they took out the angioplasty and a few other tubes. They're also having him sit up every now and then which is pretty painful I guess. Mom has fed him some juice and also some chicken broth. This afternoon they said they'll be moving him out of the ICU and into a regular room. Hooray!

Mindy and I had to drive home last night to take care of our families which was bitter sweet. Good to be home, but I wish I was still in Tucson too. A big thank you to you for all of your prayers and thoughts. Thank you to my in-laws for so graciously allowing my family to stay in their home - we were well taken care of. And most of all I'm grateful to Heavenly Father for keeping my Dad here. I know that he's got more of God's plan for him to fulfill here on the earth. I'm grateful that there really was minimal actual damage to the heart and that medical advances allow for such amazing surgeries!

10 comments:

Andrea Gunnell said...

I'm so sorry your family has had to go through all of this. I am so happy to hear he is on the road to recovery. Reading your post just brought back a huge wave of emotions. It is just not easy to have to go through something like this but at the same time it makes you so grateful for life, for family, for the gospel, for technology...
I love you Karli and I have been thinking so much about you and your family. I will continue to pray for your family because I know prayers work!

Erin said...

It is so hard to see loved ones in the hospital. I am so glad that his surgery went well and that he can now start recovering. We will continue to keep your family in our prayers.

Janiel said...

i'm glad to hear things are getting better for your dad. i know how scary it is to have someone so close to you in the hospital. we are praying for your family!

Becky said...

We are really glad that his surgery went well. I bet your mom was grateful to have you, Mindy, and kids there. We hope he feels much better in the coming days.

echolsfamily said...

Things like this always make me realize how fragile life really is, and that there is so much to be grateful for. I'm glad your dad is doing better and that they were able to catch it before it did major damage.

Dallas and Natalie Turley said...

I'm so glad everything is turning out okay, and we'll keep you in our prayers!

Letia said...

Karli, thanks for the update. I am so glad you guys were there to give him support and love. He's the best and I am so happy to know he'll be around a lot longer!

MyR said...

I'm glad he's doing well. I know how scary that is all to well and all too recently! Those Stapley heart genes are something, aren't they?

Tressa said...

I am so glad you guys were able to be there with him. I wish I could have been there as well.
Thanks for keeping me up-to-date. Love you!

Katie and Levi said...

I didn't know that your dad was in the hospital. I am glad he is doing good and I hope you and your family and good. I love you and we are praying for you and your dad.