This last Sunday was Stake Conference and it was so enjoyable - probably because I volunteered myself for the choir and so had a comfortable seat and no kids to wrangle. Jared on the other hand didn't get to listen to much of conference. I wish I'd had a pad of paper with me to write down the words that spoke to my heart, but my memory will have to suffice.
- Take time each day to visualize your children as you want them to be throughout their life. See them giving service. See them honoring the priesthood. See them as a full-time missionary. See them entering the temple.
- Allow your children to experience consequences. When they're young the consequences are small - they don't get to play outside that day or they might have to sweep the floor after they made a mess at the table. This helps them understand cause/effect or action/consequence and it helps you get in the habit of administering consequences so that when teenage years come on and consequences may incur great sorrow and prolonged suffering they will be even more inclined to choose the right.
- Give service in your community. The view exists among many community organizations that "the Mormons don't care." We sometimes get caught up in serving within our ward, our families, and in global efforts, but it's important to remember to serve in your community too - and even more important that our children are given opportunities to serve. I remember going to nursing homes with my sisters regularly to sing to the elderly people there. We would always go at Christmas time and sing favorite Christmas songs to them - what a great way to serve and brighten their day!
- The 8 W's: "Work will win when wishy-washy worry won't." When you have a problem or struggle, stop just worrying about it and get to work doing what you can to fix it. If it's not within your power to fix it... stop worrying :)
I'll have to add more thoughts if any more come to mind...
6 comments:
Hi Karli and Jared. Theresa was here last night visiting, and while I've checked out your blog several times I haven't reciprocated very well. We have one too. www.harveyfamilyhappenings.blogspot.com It's open to the public for now - what a beautiful family you have!
Kari! I'm glad you found my blog too! I just started doing this blogging thing and I'm not sure how to reply to comments, so this is my attempt to reply to your question. I graduated with my masters in speech pathology. I'm so excited, but I'm not really done until my externship at Flagstaff Medical Center is over in August! I'm glad you found me! Its nice to see what you are up to these days. Your kids are so dang cute! Keep in touch!!
hi kirly its me kennady. Thank you for taking family pictures. I love you. I hope you have a grait day, by.
Stake Conference was great... What I actually got to listen to! I had Caleb with me. Metal Chairs and two year olds don't mix!! Kinda weird having a toddler with me!
nice, that's the way to do. volunteer so that i don't have to wrestle with the kids
Sounds like a great stake conference. Awesome advice about letting your kids learn about consequences. It's sometimes hard to stay on them about some of the little things when they are young but it sure will pay off later. Good idea about volunteering in the the choir. I'll have to try that one sometime. :)
Post a Comment