Monday, July 7, 2008

I hope he knows...

I just received a phone call from my sister Tressa letting me know that my Dad is in the hospital. At the reunion this past week he mentioned to me that he's been having chest pains for a few weeks - a pain that he can pinpoint, one that will go away if he sits down and takes it easy. Being a paramedic he knows the usual signs to look for when a heart attack is taking place. He's always heard it described as a constant ache throughout the chest. He hoped his pains were just a few ribs out of place - something that could be fixed by my brother-in-law Brett who is a chiropractor. This morning Dad decided to go to the doctor's office to see if he could get an appointment but they just couldn't squeeze him in. When they found out what his concerns were they sent him to the hospital. As they began the tests and evaluations they told him that he was having a mild heart attack right there and then! He's been flown to Tucson for further testing. I wonder if he's been having them all along. Strangely I feel quite at peace with all of this so I'm hoping that it's nothing too major and that he'll be healthy for a good long time once this is over with. We're all praying for him.

Okay, so it's been 10 minutes since I typed the last paragraph. I just talked to Mindy and I think we're going to drive down to Tucson to go and see my Dad. We know that this is exactly what he'd do for us in our time of distress. My Dad really is amazing and such a source of love and inspiration to me. I couldn't ask for a better Dad. He's taught me the gospel through his words, testimony, and example. He's always been there to support me in all my activities growing up and has given wise counsel as I try to be a good parent. He's an amazing cook. He plays with the grandkids like he's their age with all the energy and enthusiasm for life. He's willing to change even the nastiest of diapers. I know he'll always be there for me at the drop of a hat. I just hope he knows how much I really love him. I really hope he knows...

7 comments:

Amber said...

You are more then welcome at my home. Just ask Becca for my number. If you need help with kids, or a place to sleep just come on over or give me a call. I'll keep uncle Gary in our prayers. -David and Amber

KaraLyn said...

I'm so sorry for this that is happening in your life. I hope all goes well and your dad will have a speedy recovery. Medical intervention nowadays is marvelous!

Becky said...

We are keeping you all in our prayers. I hope he gets to go home soon!

Letia said...

I am so sorry to hear this! I heard him complaining about the pain, but he seemed to be his usual active self. I can't believe it's heart attacks! We will be praying for you guys!!

Andrea Gunnell said...

Karli, let me know if there is anything I can do. You guys have been there for us so much I want to do the same in return!

Cami D. said...

he knows...he TOTALLY knows! Karli I was so sad to come home this afternoon and learn this - I know exactly how this feels and I hate that you are feeling it. Luckilly I also know that he is going to be ok! You guys are in my prayers!!

Jamie Pearce said...

I hope that everything is okay with your Dad! I will keep him in my prayers. You have been such a support to Jared and Andrea and the rest of our family. Thanks for all that you do! May the Lord bless you at this time!