Tuesday, August 26, 2008

It's official...

G is allergic to nuts. I haven't had him tested by any doctors, but I'm putting two and two together. I noticed that shortly after he turned one that he refused to eat a peanut butter sandwich - strange for any child to reject a PB&J. He would take a bite or smell it and get totally repulsed. After his one bite he would get a little rash around his mouth and scratch at his throat. The same thing has happened when he's had a peanut M&M. Since making that conclusion we've tried to keep him away from peanuts. I'm so grateful that his allergy is not to the extent of his 2nd cousin (or whatever her relation is to him). We don't have to worry about other foods that have been processed in a factory where peanuts have been. I wasn't sure if it was just peanuts though.

The other day he found a Cashew granola bar and I decided to let him have a small bite knowing that I'd have to keep an eye on him for any reactions. Sure enough, about an hour after his small bite he puked everywhere! He got a rash all over his tummy and legs. He was drooling like crazy... crazy like a faucet. I kept checking for swelling and difficulty of breathing, but there was none of that. I gave him a bath and then turned on the CARS movie while he slowly recovered. We knew he'd be okay when his friend Caleb came over and he was his usual happy energetic self.

So, a warning to you all. Please do not share any tasty snacks with G that contain any type of nut! Thank you in advance!

5 comments:

Tressa said...

Wowsers! That is a pretty common allergy, but still. Do you think it is bad enough to need to carry an Epi Pen with you? I hope not. :)

Andrea Gunnell said...

No PB&J??? That's a bummer since that is the easiest meal to make a child. Oh well, I guess it could be worse, right?

Letia said...

That's a hassle to deal with especially because I love peanut butter and anything with it! I am glad it is not so severe that extreme measures have to be taken.

Amber said...

Wow that is scary. I'm so glad that it is not to serious, becuase I'm sure it is hard to keep tabs on what a toddler is putting into his/her mouth. I bet G is grateful, now someone can understand his discomfort. If I ever have nuts around him I'll try to remember not to share!!

Erin said...

My heart stopped while I was reading this, I want you to know that my daughters reactions were like that at first too....each time a child is exposed the reaction becomes more severe and it takes less to cause a reaction. Call me, I have lots of info and Drs that can help...but take it serious, I didn't take it as serious as I should until our girl almost died at church in nursery from anaphylactic shock when someone who knew about her allergy accidentally "forgot"