Monday, September 15, 2008

It's amazing what little minds can learn.

Within the last week I have experienced one of my proudest moments as a parent. There are lots of moments that are frustrating, moments that are fun, moments that are tender. This particular moment was what I would call pure joy and fulfillment. A moment that reassures me that I'm doing something right with these little boys.

It was an evening much like any other. We were sitting down to have dinner after Jared got home from work when we asked G to fold his arms so we could say the prayer. Just before beginning the prayer I glanced over at B. You'd never believe it but I watch him fold his arms so reverently. Perhaps just a fluke, I thought. Every meal since then he continues to fold his arms when we ask him to. That makes me so happy and joyful. More than anything else I want my kids to learn the power of prayer. Prayer can get you through anything.

B turns 10 months tomorrow. He's growing up so fast. He wants to walk so badly and I'm sure that he could if he'd stop thinking about it so hard. His most stable walking has occurred when he sees something he wants and without any hesitation just walks over and gets it - usually consisting of about 4 steps. He's also learned how to sign "All Done." We're working on "More" and "Please" and hope that he learns them soon so that the amount of high-pitched screaming gets reduced to a minimum.

It's moments like these that affirm to me the importance and value of being a mother. What JOY!

4 comments:

Tressa said...

How cute! He is getting so big!

Holly said...

I'm impressed! Seriously! Today has been one of those days where I feel like nothing has gone right. The whole house is a wreck, the kids are grumpy (so is mom), the dishes are piled up and so is the laundry, fighting, crying - ugh! Oh and J is failing 4th grade and the boys both have cavities. Let's see - what else? So I'm having one of those days where the only thoughts I am having are "what the heck is the purpose of my existence?"

Julee said...

Wow that's amazing!! 10 months!!! He is advanced!!! These little kids are the best!! They make life so much fun!!

Mindy said...

I cannot believe he folds his arms!!! I want to teach Jase some tricks!