Here are some pics of the applesauce process. It was so easy and incredibly healthy. Cut apples into fourths and boil/steam them in an inch or so of water. Put the cooked fourths into this nifty "Sauce Maker" - borrowed from Holly (THANKS!). As you crank the handle the sauce part comes out the middle and the "yuckies" come out the end (all the skins, seeds, and core part). It's magical! We added some nutmeg and cinnamon but it would've been just as tasty plain. No sugar needed! Put the filled jars in a water bath for 20 minutes and it's done. After canning 30 lbs of apples Andrea and I had 21 pints of applesauce sealed and ready to store.
Thursday, October 23, 2008
If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear...
A few weeks ago our ward had a Preparedness Fair and I was asked to have a canning display with information. It was fun to have a way to contribute and people were amazed at what you can can. I had about 8 different things that I had canned and had a list of other things that I wanted to try next. Well, since then I've done green beans and also applesauce. Next on the list is Spaghetti Sauce. YUM! I love canning.
Here are some pics of the applesauce process. It was so easy and incredibly healthy. Cut apples into fourths and boil/steam them in an inch or so of water. Put the cooked fourths into this nifty "Sauce Maker" - borrowed from Holly (THANKS!). As you crank the handle the sauce part comes out the middle and the "yuckies" come out the end (all the skins, seeds, and core part). It's magical! We added some nutmeg and cinnamon but it would've been just as tasty plain. No sugar needed! Put the filled jars in a water bath for 20 minutes and it's done. After canning 30 lbs of apples Andrea and I had 21 pints of applesauce sealed and ready to store.
Here are some pics of the applesauce process. It was so easy and incredibly healthy. Cut apples into fourths and boil/steam them in an inch or so of water. Put the cooked fourths into this nifty "Sauce Maker" - borrowed from Holly (THANKS!). As you crank the handle the sauce part comes out the middle and the "yuckies" come out the end (all the skins, seeds, and core part). It's magical! We added some nutmeg and cinnamon but it would've been just as tasty plain. No sugar needed! Put the filled jars in a water bath for 20 minutes and it's done. After canning 30 lbs of apples Andrea and I had 21 pints of applesauce sealed and ready to store.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Hey, cute turkeys.
You are amazing Karli! I need to do some more canning now that I am not sick continuously. :)
Man Karli, your good!!! I've been wanting to learn how to can food, I just need to get someone to show me how :) I love your fall decortions :)
Post a Comment