1. Courtesy Clerk at Fry's Grocery Store: "Do you know who you look like? Kirsten Dunst." (And on a day when my hair is pulled back in a ponytail and I have no make-up on)
2. A woman in our ward: "You have a beautiful singing voice. Would you give my daughter voice lessons?" (Flattering, but completely unexpected! I've never had even ONE voice lesson in my entire life... where do you start?)
3. A political activist in our area: "I think you should run for office against Harry Mitchell" (He said this in all seriousness. Harry Mitchell is currently the congressman representing District 5 here in AZ)
There's a little bit more behind #3. He and his wife were in charge of heading up the effort for our ward/stake with Proposition 102 - the marriage amendment. They were looking for volunteers to go door-to-door informing people about the amendment and ensuring that every qualified person was registered to vote. I had been praying that week specifically for opportunities to serve and help others... I got a phone call asking for help and I excitedly accepted the invitation. Finally something good to stand up for, to fight for. So, as a family with our double stroller, we went up and down the street we were assigned meeting very good people (all but one were very supportive... some were hearing about it for the first time).
When election day was approaching they were again seeking volunteers to stand at the polling places with signs and stickers for Prop 102 while observing the 75 foot boundary where "electioneering" cannot take place. Thinking it might be kind of a hassle with two boys to keep track of an entertained I was a little hesitant but decided to accept because I wanted to do my part - do all that I could to help this proposition to pass. So we went down to our assigned polling place with double stroller, a ball, snacks, signs, and stickers ready to give one final push for a Yes vote. I talked with the Polling Inspector before setting up and got her name and phone number just as I was instructed. She told me that this was a "no signs" polling place even outside of the 75 foot boundary. I asked if it was okay that I stand on the sidewalk with my signs since that was off the property. Yes, that would be fine, she said. We waved at the cars passing by with our signs for 90 minutes before it was time for B's morning nap, all the while getting lots of honks, thumbs up signs, and smiling faces. After his nap we went back with our signs with lunch packed and a blanket to sit on this time - along with Andrea, Caleb,and Kyson. After about an hour of being on the sidewalk the pastor of the church where the polling was taking place came up to us and said we had to leave... that this was a "no signs" polling place... we weren't allowed. My insides got very defensive and I just wanted to get angry and say it was my right to stand there, but we graciously thanked him for allowing us to vote at his church, packed up, and wished him a happy day. My heart was racing. I wanted to fight back. I stressed about giving up so quickly... but after receiving an email from the couple in our ward in charge of it all I found peace.
Her email included the experience relayed to her through someone else that saw my little family sitting on the sidewalk that morning as she went to take part in her civic duty and privilege of voting. As a supporter of Prop 102 she wanted to roll down her window and give thanks for our service... service given with two little boys ages 1 and 2 as we sat with our signs supporting marriage between a man and a woman. But after rolling down her window she was so choked with emotion that she couldn't speak. She was brought to tears of gratitude seeing others standing up for marriage the way God intended it to be. All she could do was wave. It doesn't matter that I was kicked off the sidewalk... it does matter that I stood for something... and that I stood for something worth fighting for.
5 comments:
GO YOU for supporting PROP 102 even with your babies!
Also, I've had people tell me that I look like Kirsten Dunst, too. The first few weeks I met Brandon I didn't think that he knew my name because he would call me "Mary Jane!" I think it is funny because I didn't really mind that, but when you all used to call me "Amy" I hated that! Ha, ha!
Wow, Karli you are amazing! What a great example to not make excuses, but to find a way to stand up for what is right! I bet many others saw you and your sweet family and really thought about how they were going to vote!
I am not sure how I made my way to your blog, but I just wanted to say good for you! That is just awesome standing up for what you believe in. And to know that you actually had an effect on people, that is great.
Yes! Way to go! You really would be great in public office :) And you really are as beautiful as Kirsten Dunst and you really do have an amazing voice. So, these things may seem shocking to you, but they come as no surprise to the rest of us :)
Love this post!! What a wonderful experience:)
Post a Comment