I've always loved General Conference weekend - when we get to hear the living prophet and apostles and other general authorities speak to us. When I was a young child I looked forward to it for different reasons and I'm glad my parents made it a special occasion and something we could look forward to and anticipate. Since in one weekend we attend 8 hours of speakers it can be kind of a challenge to keep the attention (or at least keep quiet) of the little ones. We always had little Bingo cards with possible topics we might be taught about through the conference - tithing, temples, music, food storage, prayer, scripture study, baptism, missionary work, etc. We also always had our own personal little bag of Jelly Bellies as our markers for Bingo that we would savor and try to make last the full 4 sessions of conference (always saving to the last the Rootbeer and Watermelon flavors - now I love peach, grapefruit, and cinnamon too :). Another thing we were treated with was take-out pizza from Little Caesars between sessions on Saturday. Ordering pizza was a BIG deal for our family. It was something we rarely did - pretty much only at conference time and for the Easter Pageant. I remember attending all 4 sessions at the stake center in our Sunday dresses. When it started broadcasting on TV we would watch at home on Saturday but still go to the church on Sunday. I would take notes in my conference journal with various colors of gel pens. Oh, the memories...
This last weekend we went to Tucson for General conference weekend and I am so grateful that we can watch it in the comfort of our homes on TV - it allows much more flexibility with young and restless children and their nap times. It was also wonderful to have the help of grandparents :). We still had Jelly Bellies and I took notes in my journal - no gel pens though. I find that I look forward to conference more and more each year, but it's no longer because of the potential Jelly Bellies or pizza (Papa Johns now). I anticipate conference for the words of counsel, words of encouragement and hope, the blending of beautiful voices that inspire me through music, and to feel abundantly of the spirit and of my Heavenly Father's love for me. It seems that so many of the talks were prepared just for me. I have too many favorites, too many I want to listen to and read a dozen times right now, again and again. When our prophet, Thomas S. Monson spoke I was overcome with emotion - the kind that curls your bottom lip, threatens wrenching sobs at your throat, and streams tears down your cheeks - as he shared stories of people faced with such dire circumstances that rose above their challenges and were able to stay focused on His plan for us and ultimately still feel love, peace, and happiness. I hope that I, too, can be strong when trials come. Other favorites of mine were: Robert D Hales, Margaret S. Lifferth, Henry B. Eyring, Dieter F. Uchtdorf, David A Bednar, and most especially Jeffery R. Holland. Wow! I know there are more that I loved, but these are the ones I really remember.
"The future is as bright as our faith" - Thomas S Monson
Link to General Conference
2 comments:
I thought our family were the only ones that played conference bingo! We would use peanut M&M as our counters. If we got a bingo my mom would have a candy bar for the person who got it during the talk. It is funny how when you get older conference is just the best sunday ever! I loved how this conference was extra special because we got to sustain our new prophet. As all of us were raising our hand I looked over at Kenzie in her high chair and she raised her right hand too. I know she was just copying what I was doing but I thought that was very sweet to see.
Yes. Jeffrey R. Holland takes the cake for me. I could not believe how amazing he did and how it made so much sense to me as an individual. I loved all of them but by far, will remember, keep, and re-read his for the rest of my life. I was so glad this session we had our DVR. It was so convenient to push pause when the kiddos needed to be fed, changed, put down for naptime, and everything that comes along with little ones. This conference was especially good for me because I felt like so many talks were just for our family. Funny how it works that way. Hope your doing well. Take care.
Post a Comment