Saturday, May 9, 2009

Before and After...

I've been on the lookout for a hutch on Craigslist - looking for just the right one - one with the lines I wanted but that needed a makeover (since it would be more affordable that way and I like renovating furniture and other items). After probably a year of looking I found the perfect one.

Photobucket

I love it! Jared was very encouraging with this project - the sooner the better because then it would be out of his garage :). The process took 2 weeks and I'm rather impressed with my patience because normally I have the patience of my father - none at all. But I've learned from other projects that it's much more efficient if I take the time and do it right the first time. Anyway, so after 2 weeks of cleaning, sanding, prepping, priming, spray painting, drying/curing, distressing, and staining we've gone from the "before" to the "during"...
Photobucket

to the "current"...
Photobucket

and you'll just have to wait a little longer for the "after" when it's all decorated and cute. Sorry it's a little fuzzy... Much better than the bland blank wall that existed in this space before. For the back I got some beadboard from Home Depot and did a brown glaze over and heirloom white coat of paint. We bought brushed nickel hardware but after attaching the beadboard I decided to just spray paint the original hardware and dark bronze and simply sand and stain the knobs a dark brown. LOVE IT!

5 comments:

Tressa said...

You are amazing! I think I need to learn your tricks for re-doing furniture. I've done a few little pieces, and hated them with a passion. I still use them, but I don't like them.

AZ Karen said...

That's so cute...I LOVE it!

J. Paige said...

Wow, that looks great! Don't forget to post the pictures of all the other things you are working on- it motivates me to get busy!

Mindy said...

I'm going to call you...cause I need some pointers. I got a cute little pedastel (sp?) table at a garage sale last weekend for $5 and want it to be black instead of honey oak. Know I just need to know how to do it. :)

Holly said...

You've got talent, girl! Okay... now we've got to get busy figuring out how to finish all of Dad's tin pieces. We need to get together, let the boys play, do some painting, and then maybe go swimming!