Thursday, May 15, 2008

Why does it have to hurt so bad?

My heart is full of aching and sympathy, wishing I knew what to do to help... hoping that he's not hurting too badly. I got a call this morning from my friend Andrea who taken her 2 month old son, Kyson, in for a well-child check-up. After telling the doctor that she'd noticed his breathing has been hard, they rushed him to the hospital with really low oxygen levels. They said they'd call back when they knew more. Two hours passed as I prayed and anxiously awaited the diagnosis, hoping it would be nothing major - after all, what could possibly be wrong with cute little Kyson? So sweet. So innocent. So perfect.

Photobucket
(Taken just 2 weeks ago on his Blessing Day)

After some testing at the hospital Jared and Andrea were informed that Kyson's heart is missing the left ventricle - the most important ventricle. His little heart has been working overtime to compensate and just couldn't handle it for much longer. He was experiencing congestive heart failure. Kyson will have to undergo open heart surgery. My heart reaches out to him - that he will be okay, that he won't feel too much pain, that he will feel of the huge number of people that are praying for him and that love him. Who couldn't?

Photobucket
(One week old)

So I'm asking that you please say a prayer for this little angel - and for his family. He needs our faith more than ever. How hard it must be for Jared and Andrea to see him poked and monitored and on oxygen. How grateful I am that they have Phil and Heather to look to for comfort. How grateful I am that Andrea was prompted to tell the doctor about the difficulty of his breathing - instead of responding to the doctor's question with the observation that he's just a fussy baby. How blessed we are to know that Heavenly Father is mindful of us - that he knows Kyson and has such a love for him. I'm sure He's missing Kyson's valiant and loving spirit even though he's only been gone for 2 short months.

In search for comfort of my own, I came across these words of President Hinckley:
Behold your little ones. Pray with them. Pray for them and bless them. The world into which they are moving is a complex and difficult world. They will run into heavy seas of adversity. They will need all the strength and all the faith you can give them while they are yet near you. And they will also need a greater strength which comes of a higher power.

Andrea, I'm here for you. Whenever you need me. I'm ready to fulfill my covenant to mourn with those that mourn and comfort those that stand in need of comfort. Even if you just need someone to cry with you... I'm great at that.
When we truly behold our little ones, we behold the glory, wonder, and majesty of God, our Eternal Father. Regardless of physical limitations or the challenge of circumstance, their souls are endowed naturally with divine potential that is infinite and eternal. - M. Russell Ballard

We love you Kyson!

4 comments:

Jared Gunnell said...

Karli,

We appreciate those kind words. It meant a lot to us to hear them. We are lucky to have such good friends that we can rely on for support during hard times.

Jared

Erin said...

We will keep Kyson in our prayers, my brother Ryan had open heart surgery when he was an infant also, he is 32 years old now and lived a healthy life. How blessed we are to live in a time with such medical advances.

Becky said...

He is such a beautiful baby boy! My heart goes out to your friends and their sweet little Kyson. They will definitely be in our thoughts and prayers.

Heather said...

The support Jared & Andrea have received has been amazing. Jared said you guys are the greatest friends and I know they love you and are so grateful for your love and support.