Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Happy Birthday Jared...

The big 29! In the 4.5 years we've been married, I've never really done anything special for Jared's birthday - no surprises, sometimes not even a cake, and most of the time no present because he's already bought his own birthday present before I have a chance. So, I decided I'd try a little harder this year.

On his birthday eve we and our friends Jared and Andrea went goofy golfing and out for ice cream at Marble Slab. I got 5 hole-in-ones! One time Jared and I both got hole-in-ones! Woo hoo!

His family came up from Tucson for the day and brought him green corn tamales for lunch - a FAVORITE of his. Then for dinner I made him a super tasty meal - basically the pulled pork salad you can order at Costa Vita or Cafe Rio. The recipe makes enough to feed an army so we had quite the birthday gathering that night feeding 22 people. There are still leftovers to feed that many again. After dinner we enjoyed not one, but TWO oreo ice cream cakes (one was Mint Choc. Chip and the other was Cookies and Cream).

Jared was under the impression that there were again no gifts this birthday because he just purchased a bunch of stuff for his truck and also his up-coming hunting trip. I gave him a meager card that said at the bottom he would find a present hiding in the 2nd bedroom. His eyes lit up as he went to find it. He unwrapped a complete horseshoe set - a favorite game of his and great for camping.

His night was topped off with a round of scorpion hunting - only found one tiny scorpion hiding deap in a crack in the wall. He met his demise by way of the blow torch of course.

Thanks to all who came and helped us celebrate Jared's birthday - I think it felt like more of a special day this year. HAPPY BIRTHDAY JARED!

3 comments:

Salsa Mama said...

Hey Karli,
Sounds like such a fun time! Especially the scorpion hunting part...I love the blow torch-such a great hunting weapon. :) We should let Garrett and Lincoln navigate the park and eat sand together some time.

MyR said...

What a fun day. Good job wife! And that recipe for pulled pork...SHARE? I'm always on the hunt for new and yummy dinner ideas!

Tressa said...

I agree with Myr, I want that recipe. I am addicted to Cafe Rio's pork salad. So, while we are at it, does anyone have a super good version of the creamy dressing?