Most of you are aware, that we belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, also known as the Mormon church. Like other large faith groups, our church sometimes finds itself on the receiving end of attention from Hollywood or Broadway, television series or books, and the news media. Sometimes depictions of the Church and its people are quite accurate. Sometimes the images are false or play to stereotypes. Occasionally, they are in appallingly bad taste.
Before the first season of the HBO series Big Love aired more than two years ago, the show’s creators and HBO executives assured the Church that the series wouldn’t be about Mormons. However, Internet references to Big Love indicate that more and more Mormon themes are now being woven into the show and that the characters are often unsympathetic figures who come across as narrow and self-righteous. And according to TV Guide, it now seems the show’s writers are to depict what they understand to be sacred temple ceremonies. Certainly Church members are offended when their most sacred practices are misrepresented or presented without context or understanding. Such things say much more about the insensitivities of writers, producers and TV executives than they say about Latter-day Saints. I’d like to take this opportunity to reaffirm to you what I believe, and to share a little more information about Mormon temples. I also invite you to respectfully ask me any questions that you have–I will gladly answer. For starters here's a video about Mormon temples:
Additionally, I recently watched this video about a girl named Rachel Esplin who is a 20-year old Harvard junior who spoke on a panel of faith about her LDS beliefs, upbringing, and faith in Jesus Christ and the restoration of the gospel. I feel she did a great job of answering questions and explaining some of our basic beliefs.
I would like to add my testimony of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; that it is the true gospel of Jesus Christ restored in these latter days. I know that God still speaks to us today and that we have a living prophet, Thomas S. Monson. I am so blessed to live only 5 minutes from the temple and long to return again even after just leaving the front doors. The temples are so sacred and peaceful - a place where the pressures of the world cannot enter.
(Some of the text above is copied from lds.org and my friend Amy's blog).
2 comments:
I left a comment on your previous post.
I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciated your post! I shared it with some of my member and nonmember friends at school.
I really appreciated her honesty and how she has gained her testimony.
Thanks!!
Post a Comment